In simple words, detox is a process in which a person makes lifestyle changes to clear their body of toxins. These lifestyle changes typically involve abstaining from certain harmful things and optimizing body processes. Following a cleansing diet is one of the easiest and fastest ways to detoxify one’s body.
If you’ve been noticing any of the following symptoms on a regular basis, you’re likely overdue for a detox:
1. Low energy/fatigued
3. Brain fog/Unable to focus
4. Feeling depressed
5. Overweight/Trouble losing weight
6. Trouble sleeping
7. Menstrual disorders
8. Unexplained headaches
9. Unexplained soreness/Stiffness
10. Skin problems/Allergic reactions
Now, let’s see how detox helps us get rid of the above problems respectively:
1. A detox can help you flush out the things that are preventing you from feeling energetic and having a pep in your step.
2. A colon cleanse is the order of the day if you’ve been battling with bouts of constipation. An effective colon cleanse will not only clear your colon of any stored up fecal matter, but will cleanse your digestive tract as well, improving your digestive health along the way.
3. A detox helps get rid of the toxins that are preventing your brain from firing on all cylinders. A candida cleanse alone can restore clarity, focus, and concentration by ridding your body of excessive and damaging candida fungus.
4. A detox may not be the cure for clinical depression, you’ll want to see your doctor for that. But as far as helping to avoid depressing thoughts, a detox can work wonders. It frees your body of stored up toxins that can keep you in patterns of negative thinking, and can inspire a new outlook on life.
5. When you detox the body you are bringing things back to square one rather than starting at a disadvantage. It not only helps the body shed body waste and lose weight as a byproduct of doing the detox, it sets the stage for healthy weight loss with the adoption of a better diet and a more active lifestyle.
6. A detox helps you by restoring your body to a more natural state. You can then be more apt to follow the patterns of the circadian rhythm, getting tired at appropriate times at night thanks to melatonin released by the body, and waking up with the birds feeling refreshed and recharged.
7. Detoxing on a regular basis reduces the toxin levels in your body and gives your organs a chance to catch up on their work, such as keeping your hormones in balance, which leads to healthier menstrual cycles and less PMS.
8. A detox gets rid of impurities in the body that may be making you more prone to a headache.
9. A detox can help reduce excessive inflammation, which in turn helps to soothe the aches and pains brought on by too much inflammation in the body.
10. A detox works at the source of the problem, ridding the body of toxins that can lead to rashes, outbreaks, and allergic reactions on the skin, as well as sneezing, coughing, and asthmatic conditions.
Next, we need to focus on what kind of foods we should intake in order to detox our body.
1. Fruit: Fruits are high in liquid-content which helps the body wash out toxins. Fruit is also easy to digest and is high in antioxidants, nutrients, fiber, and important vitamins.
2. Green Foods: Fill your refrigerator with blue green algae, barley, wheatgrass, kale, spinach, spirulina, alfalfa, chard, arugula, and other organic leafy greens to give your digestive tract a detoxifying boost of chlorophyll.Chlorophyll rids the body of harmful environmental toxins from toxic metals, herbicides, cleaning products, and pesticides. They also aid the liver in detoxification.
3. Lemons, Oranges, and Limes: Citrus fruit aids the body by flushing out toxins and jump-starting the digestive tract with enzymatic processes. Lemon juice supports the liver and kidneys in their cleansing processes. To increase detoxification, start each morning with a warm glass of lemon water.
4. Garlic: Garlic is one of the best detoxing foods out there. It stimulates the liver into producing detoxification enzymes that filter toxic residues from the digestive system. I recommend adding sliced or cooked garlic to a suitable dish, as it will help any detox diet.
5. Broccoli Sprouts: Extremely high in antioxidants, the ability for broccoli sprouts to stimulate detoxification enzymes at the cellular level is unparalleled. The sprouts are actually more effective than the fully-grown vegetable.
6. Green Tea: Packed with antioxidants, green tea washes out toxins from the system. It also contains a special type of antioxidant called catechins, which are known to increase liver function.
7. Mung Beans: The mighty mung bean has been used by Ayurvedic doctors for thousands of years. It is incredibly easy to digest and absorbs toxic residue from the intestinal walls.
8. Raw Vegetables: Whether juiced or eaten raw, onions, carrots, artichokes, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, kale, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, garlic, beet, turmeric, and oregano provide a great foundation for a healthy diet. The combination of these foods will help your liver purge toxins during the cleansing process.
9. Seeds and Nuts: Incorporate more easily digestible seeds and nuts into your diet. Flax seed, pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts, hemp seeds, sesame seeds, chia seeds, Siberian cedar nuts, and sunflower seeds are all excellent options. While detoxing, avoid nut butter with added sugar.
10. Omega-3 Oils: Use hemp, avocado, olive, or flaxseed oil while detoxing to help lubricate the intestinal walls. This allows toxins to be absorbed by the oil and eliminated by the body.