Oklahoma is one of the most dynamic places to live with beautiful mountains and lush untouched greenery. The state is a typical American community with a mix of African, Hispanic, and Asian descents. Just a year ago, the local government joined the bandwagon of states legalizing marijuana for medical and recreational use.
Cannabis has always had a negative name in our modern world because of its addictive properties. But science is slowly changing our perception of the herb. Medical marijuana Oklahoma is the latest talk of the town, garnering support from people who are suffering from certain medical conditions.
Life-threatening ailments that are seen to benefit from tetrahydrocannabinol use
The psychoactive and non-addictive ingredient of cannabis is seen to be beneficial to a lot of the common maladies experienced by man. Here are five ailments that are seen to benefit from medicinal cannabis:
1. HIV/AIDS. HIV-infected people are prone to infections because of their compromised immune functions. In recent studies, cannabis has been found to slow down viral progression. Medical-grade marijuana also contributes to quality eating, adequate sleep, and better moods.
2. Cancer. Cancer is ranked as the second leading cause of death in the state. Medical marijuana and cannabis extracts are seen to kill certain types of cancer cells. There are also leading studies that indicate THC contributes to stopping the growth of cancer. THC or tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive compound in cannabis, is effective in increasing the impact of radiation on active cancer cells.
3. Alzheimer’s Disease. This dreaded and progressive brain disorder has been one of the beneficiaries of most cannabis research. Medical marijuana in Oklahoma provides hope to the 64,000 residents who are experiencing the early symptoms and rapid progression of the disease.
4. Epilepsy. The NYU Langone Medical Center concluded that cannabis is beneficial for people experiencing frequent seizures brought on by epilepsy. Among the 213 research participants, almost 50% of the subjects showed progress and reduced the number of seizures.
5. Multiple sclerosis. It is one of the most disabling diseases affecting the Central Nervous System of a person. Medical cannabis helps prevent the onset of symptoms, including muscle spasms, stiffness, tremors, and severe pains.
What makes marijuana effective herbal medicine?
Medical marijuana is a collective name referring to the unprocessed plant. Although the US FDA has not recognized and approved the marijuana plant for its therapeutic factors, science is slowly confirming its benefits through intensive research.
The part of marijuana accepted by the government to have medicinal value is the chemical called cannabinoids. Cannabinoids are active compounds with the same structure created by our bodies. It acts as an appetite stimulant, memory enhancer, and suppresses pain.
The psychoactive compound also acts to reduce anxiety and reduce inflammations. Although our bodies have their supply of cannabinoids, using the plant as a source of the mixture increases cannabinoid receptors found in our brains.
Marijuana has also been studied to possess over 60 different curative elements that are beneficial to some of the most common diseases. Both the active compounds are used to treat ailments.
CBD or cannabidiol is used to treat depression, mental disorders, and seizures. THC is used to treat muscle spasticity, insomnia, and loss of appetite. People use either of the active compounds to treat pain, nausea, or anxiety.